Friday 10 March 2017

Friends and the Work of the Holy Spirit

Last night we had our weekly fellowship group. We typically spend a bit of time sharing a devotional, then spend some time praying, and then watch a movie. I've been sharing some big ideas from Jerry Bridges' book "Respectable Sins" during our devotional time.

Last night there were two things that caused me to be thankful. One of them was just seeing the way that Sawyer interacted with our national friends here. Two of my best friends are always hanging out here and talking to Sawyer, and he really likes them. Last night he was sitting on their laps and giving them hugs, which was really fun to see. I'm thankful to see my kids doing well here.

The other thing that I was thankful for last night was the work of the Holy Spirit. In our devotional last night we were talking about how the Holy Spirit is always working in our lives and making us more like Jesus. It was cool to have a discussion about how the Holy Spirit changes our desires and conforms them to Christ. The old, worldly things that gave me happiness don't have the same allure. The things of God fill me with joy. Things like watching "War Room" and seeing the older lady getting fired up and praising Jesus for the work of God in the family of the woman she is mentoring. Things like hearing the testimonies of God's work in the lives of the people in our church. And then there's preaching. That's definitely one of my favorite things now and fills me with such joy.

"And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." Philippians 1:6

Praise God!

No comments:

Post a Comment